Sunday, May 11, 2014

Interlude: Paranoia







Kenichi blew smoke into the air, fingers securely holding the cigarette as he gazed out at the sky, arms folded over his chest. Behind him, Matt was simply watching, smoking his own cigarette. “Sansa was finally able to pay back their debt,” he finally said, not looking at Matt as he sucked on the tip of the cigarette lightly.

“Does it matter as much?”

“God. I don’t know,” he tossed the cigarette into the ashtray and poured himself a drink, “I don’t fucking know. On one hand, our finances are going to be stable again. On another hand, it came at a price.”

“Would you give the money in exchange?” Matt asked, quirking a brow as he fished for his lighter. “What would you do in exchange?”

“If it meant not having Taro killed, then I would gladly write off the debt and rip the check into pieces.” Kenichi took a drink, “What more can I do? I sent his wife flowers and fruits, attended the funeral and tried to avoid the other members cursing my name – what more does Taro want?”

“Stop it,” Matt said sharply. “Taro is dead.”

“Dead and extracting his revenge,” Kenichi inhaled deeply and stormed back inside, Matt frowning and following his superior into the massive living room, “I understand that I pressured the man too much. Fuck. I just did what I had to for my own company. Sansa got from me, I needed it back. It repaid. So why do I feel indebted to him?”

The ginger leaned against the wall, taking in the sight of Kenichi pacing back and forth with a puzzled and frustrated look on his face.

“You feel guilty.”

“Guilty.” Kenichi repeated. It tasted odd in his mouth. Like it didn’t belong there. “I feel guilty for a death that I didn’t cause.”

“Not that, dope.” Matt exhaled, “Guilty for prompting his obsession with gambling. Guilty for pressuring the man until the night of his death. You’re thinking that if you didn’t remind as much, he’d have put off his gambling and might be alive until now. But he isn’t. And you have to accept that.”

Kenichi stayed silent, still pacing. Matt noticed that he had set his glass of brandy down and had run his hands through his hair in a distant sort of panic.

“If the police come,” he finally told Matt, “Then I’m fucked.”



“They’ll just come for interviewing.”

Kenichi gave a bark of laughter, “Interviewing! What harm can that do?” his mouth turned up to a sneer, “Matt, don’t you understand? They’ll go for Sansa. Sansa will tell about us. Police will investigate on us. They want the dirty or else it’s going to be useless to them.”

The Englisman felt his blood chill. “What do you want me to do about it?”

“I hope you covered your tracks well, Matt. I’ll be stuck if I ever have to bail you out.”

“You’ve never bailed me out,” the other hissed, but Kenichi merely waved him off. Matt stared in shock and disbelief, Kenichi turning away from him and preparing to depart from his own room. “And what? I just need to cover my tracks?”

“Damn it all if I even care about all of this anymore, Matt. This might be the one crime that makes or breaks me, and to think I’ve been going clean for months.”

This time, Matt gave a harsh laugh himself. “What is it now, Kenichi? Afraid you’ll turn up like your dad?”
Kenichi stopped.

“I am nothing like my father,” he said slowly. “Now get the fuck out.”

* * * * *

He chewed on the cigarette as he stepped into the house, blowing out smoke and hanging his coat on the door. In the living room, the telly was on and he could smell cooking from the kitchen. “Are you here?”

“I smell smoke,” A announced, stepping into the hall with a bowl in her hand. She blinked upon seeing him, staring at the disheveled look of his attire and of him in general. “Oh for heaven’s sake,” she muttered, taking the cigarette from his mouth with her free hand, glaring at it and then looking at him. “Where did you go?”

“Matsumoto.” He brushed off the topic and kissed her cheek. “What are you making?”

“I’m making salad, but you have pasta in the kitchen.” She wrinkled her nose  a bit and pushed him playfully, “Eat, you silly man, and I’ll continue with this.”

Matt flashed her a small grin before walking to the dining area, sitting down and taking the plate while she assembled the salad and threw away the cigarette. “Did you make any progress with the others?”

“A bit,” she admitted, sitting down eventually and eating as well, “But I’m exhausted and don’t want to talk about it. What happened to you?”

“Matsumoto was being a prick, I smoked and drank a bit…” she sent him a look, and he smiled good naturedly. “A beer and cig or two can’t hurt, darling.”

“Drinking on the job,” she scolded lightly, taking another bite of salad. “No wonder he got angry at you. Breaking protocol has its own punishment.”

“But he was the one being a prick,” Matt protested. “He’s giving me a headache. Sometimes I want to quit the job, to be honest.”

“But this is Kenichi.” A referred to him with the first name this time, “He needs you. Even if he seems terrible and cranky. Besides,” she smiled a bit, “I’m cranky and you still put up with me.”

“You’re a different case, kitten. He’s just…” he sighed, “I don’t know anymore what’s wrong with him.”
“Business deals getting tough?”

He bit his lip.

“Sort of.”

“He can deal with that. He’s Kenichi, after all.” she took a few more bites of salad and watched as he fiddled with his food, “…are you full?” A asked, quirking a brow at his half-eaten dinner.

“Sorry, A. Not too hungry tonight.” He sent her an apologetic look and rose, carrying his plate. “I’ll eat this tomorrow morning. Did you cook this?”

She gave a halfhearted shrug, “It was a nice try at making dinner.”

“I’ll eat more tomorrow,” he promised.

She managed a smile at that. “If you say so.”

* * * * *

“I’ve helped you, Taro. I’m not one against helping out those in need,” Kenichi told the taller man. “But this time, I’m getting impatient. I need the money I lent Sansa back.”

“You’ll get it eventually,” Taro promised. “I just need to get us back up. Advertising is terrible this month and I just fired a few at work today.” He sighed deeply, “Please, Kenichi. Just give me time.”

“I’m giving you time,” Kenichi said in a much gentler tone. “But I’m impatient.”

Kenichi was getting paranoid – totally paranoid.

The fact that he nearly melted down in front of Matt was a clear indicator that he was starting to become wary. Police sirens made him jump. Stories of Matt’s girlfriend made him break into a sweat – all for a different reason.

“You’re being a fucking idiot,” he told his own reflection, which was dripping wet from the water he had splashed onto his face. “Taro is dead. He is dead.”

Dead and haunting, a voice in his head mocked.

“Dead,” he repeated softly. “Gods. Taro is dead.”

No comments:

Post a Comment