Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ari Babbles: Of Characters and Life

For me, one of the greatest pleasures of writing isn't building the plot, creating a new world, or even finishing a story that you've spent your blood, sweat and tears on. That's just one of the finer things, this coming from a writer who's only finished so little yet is trying to accomplish so much. Truly, one of the greatest things you can feel when writing is the joy of bringing a character to life.

Yes, you can make so many characters. I've got Queens and humans who have Other Selves, cocky blondes and a mysterious ginger who trains with dragons and the dragons' mistress. I've got half-Deity and half-Zodiac teenage women. Hell, I've even got a sarcastic, snarky forensic scientist who struggled as he moved to Tokyo. Yes, I've got so many characters. Protagonists, antagonists, supporting characters, flat ones and round ones. But no matter who or what they are, nothing makes me happier than seeing them, writing them in a matter that they feel alive.

Ever since seventh grade, I started writing my own characters and started to lessen writing about canon characters. Admittedly, it was hard. There were names and backgrounds, jobs and hobbies to conceptualize and think of - even the appearance was a vital part of who they were. I couldn't just describe this one character as a 'brunette-haired bookworm', or a 'sharp, blue-eyed chef'. I plotted and planned my characters to the last detail, not wanting to lack in anything. Really, it's like cooking. You try so hard to make it perfect, just to see the amazing result. And when people eat the meal and tell you it's good, you can't help but feel that little bubble of pride rise.

That's exactly my feelings towards character-building. I want to make them great, to make them human and wonderfully flawed. So that when people read about them, they don't roll their eyes and tell me the balance is flawed, no. It's purely for when people read them, they feel a connection, whether from their life story or the fact that their favorite band is the Kooks and they've been saving all their life just to get to one concert.

With the way I design and make my characters, it always gets on my nerves when I read a novel - even a whole series - and not even once does the main character even change. It would be understandable if the character were background ones, but as I had learned in English class, character development was the most vital part of a story - of a novel.




We're all human. Flawed, unlikable and hypocritical human beings. All people are flawed somehow. And for this flaw to diminish, to develop and be understood, the flaw has to be put into action. Hence, why I hate perfect, unrealistic heroes and heroines. It detracts from how we relate to the character, and the overall experience.

Two examples can be Jo March from Little Women and Macbeth from Macbeth. Jo had the worst temper and was extremely unladylike, while Macbeth's ambition and thirst for power got the best of him. Isn't that striking, in a way? Jo was my favorite among the four March sisters, and though Macbeth didn't really rank that high in my list, his flaws and choices were what truly made Macbeth such an amazing piece to read.

What I'm saying is, there is no greater joy than creating people out of pen and paper. Additionally, there is nothing better than having these characters life a life of joys, pains, struggles and blessings. Because through this, humanity is displayed. No one really wants to read a tale where Miss Sue is born with Alexandria's Genesis and saves the world through awesome kung-fu without breaking a nail or failing. 

I tend to feel more for the characters than the actual plot. Heck, amazing characters may even save a poorly-delivered or completely overdone plot. High school romances can be spiced up with a great ensemble. Murders can be performed by a person with good intentions. Queens can be selfish and can control their Kings. The cockiest of the cocky can back it up with his backstory, provided that he or she eventually learns. 

With this in mind, I wish writers - not just authors, but even screenwriters for TV shows, films and such - would explore more characters. 

I love gusty female characters, I really do, but not every female has to prove her strength through how many sarcastic retorts she can come up with in a minute. Not every woman whose plot develops around romance is automatically weak, no. And not every woman who detests any kind of romantic affection is automatically strong.  There are people who can't seem to get it out of their head.

In the same way, not every man scoffs at the idea of love because it's silly and for women. Not every man has to be able to lift a ten ton truck to prove his manliness. And not every man has to build barriers around themselves and wait for a "worthy" woman to break those barriers down! Some men like being out there and some don't.

It's all variety, really. 

For the next wear, I wish to see more. I want to explore more characters and explore with them, to meet those who break the stereotype of what is typically expected from them.

Basically, defy the status quo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment