Sunday, March 16, 2014

Prelude: A Matter of Vice



“An amazing job on the drug bust, Peters. This is going to look nice on your record,” commented A, who looked at Peters with a somewhat proud look in her eyes. Instead of replying in a sarcastic manner, the American had the decency to look a little humbled – maybe a little embarrassed, even.

“Sure hope so. Nearly got shot and almost got my face stuffed into a pot of marijuana.”

“The fact that you just used two common names for cannabis in the same sentence doesn’t fail to amuse me,” snorted the female. “But in all seriousness, good job. It might just clear up your record of assaulting the Dough boy around the corner…but then again, everyone would love to pummel him.”

“Hey, hey – he touches what’s mine, he gets what he deserves.”

“While I do not appreciate you claiming J like an object, I might have to agree.” She stretched and Peters sat on the chair in front of her desk, watching as she yawned and glanced around her office. “Pete, you grew up in Bronx…how were you raised, exactly?”

The American blinked. “You’ve heard my story a million times.”

“I know, I know. The jock gets overshadowed by the council president who moves on to become a doctor. But what I mean is that, did your parents raise you in some kind of faith?”

“You mean religion?” She nodded. “Christian, but I was never the Bible-thumping kind who stuck to the rules. Neither were my parents – they gave the general facts, but never touched on it as I grew up. I’m more of the type of person who believes that all gods are one and the same. Why ask?”

“It’s something that’s been ringing in my head ever since,” she admitted.

“Do tell.”

“So you know the seven vices, right?”

“Deadly Sins? Yeah, I’ve heard of it.”

“Right. Pride, envy, gluttony, sloth, lust, greed and wrath. Here’s the main question…which one is the worst?”

This rendered Peters silent.

She always asked the big questions.

“It’s got to be greed.”




A nearly jumped out of her seat at the sound of Touta’s voice filling the room. The older Japanese smiled simply, closing the door. “Sorry for surprising you both – I found you two in here, so I guessed that I could join the conversation.”

“Feel free to. A just needs to start her heart again,” Peters laughed, making the woman scowl heavily and blush a light tinge of red. “But why greed?”

“I’ve seen things your eyes haven’t,” Touta explained calmly. “I’ve seen how greed changed people…even the best of those I knew. It corrupted them a lot, it wasn’t such a pretty sight. It ended with either jail time or the other way. Now,” he cleared his throat, “What about you, Pete?”

“It isn’t greed. I’m more on pride – pride inflates the ego, the inflated ego won’t take shit, and whenever someone wants to prove them wrong, shit goes down. It might actually be the worst of them all – a wounded ego can be a highway to disaster. Wouldn’t an arrogant man want the best for himself and only the best? It would lead to greed. But that’s just my point,” Peters shrugged, “We’ve all got different opinions on these kinds of topics.”

“Not in my eyes.” Touta folded his arms over his chest. “One day, I’ll tell you why I’m such a veteran here…but that’s another story for another occasion. We’re talking about depth and beliefs.”
“All of them are bad in proportionate ways.”

“But you’re asking for the worst,” Peters interjected, “Well. In one’s own personal opinion. Which you haven’t shared, by the way.”

She looked at both of them.

“Mine is just as reasonable as yours – wrath.”

Touta quirked a brow.

“Wrath…it fuels the mind and drives the adrenaline in one’s system to do something unforgivable,” she said carefully. “Most of our cases were because of it. Maybe mixed with another vice, yes, but still fuelled by rage and pent up frustrations. People do wrong because of a clouded mind. Clouded minds are, more often than not, ran on anger.”

“Then how would you explain wrath’s connection to pride?”

“It works both ways. An injured ego infuriates the egotistical. Infuriation inflates the ego and makes them believe that they aren’t wrong, that they never will be. So what happens when someone challenges it? They get angry. They’re driven to lengthy ways of extracting revenge. Greed,” she looked at Touta, “Is a little more complicated. “When you don’t get it, you get angry. On the other hand, anger will make you take and take until you’re satisfied. It doesn’t matter what you take…you’ll never be fully satisfied at all.”

“But they’re all interconnected, either way. Thus concluding an equal amount of evil for each.”

“That much is true.” A looked away. “It’s just something that came to mind as I finished up my report on the last case. It happens.”

“It’s a sign of being human, A. Questioning the big stuff.”

“Or a sign that I should gain more than five hours of sleep.”

“Most likely that. Your eyebags are getting. Well. More prominent.”

“I thought Matt got you in bed easily?” Peters asked, smirking. This made the woman flush a brighter red, making the American roar in laughter. Touta gave a small smile, but was trying to stop himself from laughing as well. “All jokes aside, you should get some sleep.”

“I’m a fucking detective, Peters. I’m not quite sure where ‘sleep’ fits there.”

“I get eight to ten.”

“That explains why you’re so perky.”

“And why you get to work so late.”

“Hey, hey. I’m not late all the time, Touta.”

“I’ll give you that.” A yawned and stood up, slinging her bag over her shoulder. “Going home, A?”

“Mhm. Going to start on that ‘getting more sleep’ thing. Plus, I don’t want to keep Matt waiting.”

“Of course she doesn’t,” Peters smirked. “Have a good night, A.”

“Yeah, yeah. Lock my door when you get out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment