Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ari Reviews: Paramore

I finally got off my lazy bum and decided to finish this review. 

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another Ari Reviews post! It's been a while ever since I reviewed something, and I'm glad to finally do it again. This time, I'll be reviewing an album by a band that holds a special place in my heart. I went to their concert two months ago, and I've been immensely excited for this one.


Yes, I'll be doing Paramore's latest album, their self-entitled one released two months ago in the Philippines. I've given it a listen and I'm going to do so again - so, if you want to know what I think of this new album and all these new tracks, click the Read More button over there and read on.






Now one of the reasons why I am head over heels with this band is because of their music (of course). Being a fan ever since fifth grade, I first heard That's What You Get on a music channel and got curious. Eventually, I started listening to their music and  then bought their albums instead of downloading them. Paramore had concerts in Manila twice already, and I'm proud to say that I had been to their latest one. I find their music diverse (more since the release of their new album) and they aren't afraid of branching out to new sounds. The lyrics in their songs are heartfelt and tackle a variety of themes and topics, from love to starting anew.


This new album tackles the new sounds, so let's get started.


Out of the four albums, I seriously love this one the most. 

No seriously, I'm not kidding. 

It's like I can relate to every single freaking song, even if it's only one line or a chorus or a verse or even the merely instruments that play. This album gave me character development help and songs that got me through the hard moments this summer, and I keep listening to every single freaking song when I get the chance.

Now, let me tell you my top five songs of the album.

I won't include the released singles Now and Still Into You. 
I won't be including the bonus tracks Escape Route and Native Tongue. 

5. Track #17, Future

Start the album with a bang, you've got me. 
End the album with a bang, you've got me addicted. 

Ugh wow this song. It feels like a sweet promise. 
Ever hear a song and think, yeah, that's something good?
But more than a promise, it's like an assurance. 
Some kind of advice.

This album's going to be here for you. 

Just think of the future,
And think of your dreams.
You'll get away from here,
You'll get away eventually.

So, just think of the future,
Think of a new life.
And don't get lost in the memories,

Keep your eyes on a new prize.

And am I the only one who loves how long this track is? I can relax and daydream to it.

4. Track #3, Grow Up

Okay, this one I can massively relate to. 

Yes, there a lot of people in my life that I want to yell STICK IT to. 
In their arse, maybe, but that's different.

Basically, put this song on if you've had enough of those people. 
It's going to make you feel good.
And it makes a great dancing song. 

Got my band and a light that won't go out
Been burning since the day I was born
So I cried just a little then I'll dry my eyes
Cause I'm not a little girl no more

Some of us have to grow up sometimes
And so, if I have to I'm gonna leave you behind

It's the biggest FU song on the album, yeah?
Perfect for a girl like me who gets angry a lot.

3. Track #5, Interlude: Moving On

Let 'em spill their guts
Cause one day they're gonna slip on 'em

Karma's terrible, isn't it? 

Had enough of the mean kids and Grow Up isn't enough?
Blast this track. Anywhere. Anytime.
It's going to make you feel better.

Eat some sweets for the good vibes, too. 
And if you know how to play the ukulele, strum on. 

Well I could be angry
But you're not worth the fight
And besides I'm moving on

I've counted to ten
And I'm feeling alright
And besides I'm moving
Yes I'm moving
Besides I'm moving on

2. Track #6, Ain't It Fun

So the mean kids aren't mean because they've had a taste of karma, and now they're facing the real world. You just found out, and you're happy because freaking finally, man.

What track do you play?
This one. 

So what are you gonna do when the world don't orbit around you?
So what are you gonna do when nobody wants to fool with you?

Ain't it fun living in the real world
Ain't it good being all alone

Ain't it good to be on your own
Ain't it fun you can't count on no one

Dear God, the number of times I wanted to put this song alone in a USB and send it to the person I utterly detested. Probably write a 'how does it feel?' document message along with the file to creep them out. 

1. Track #6, Fast In My Car

Now, remember what I said earlier?

Start the song with a bang, you've got me. 

This song got me hook, line, and freaking sinker.

So the kids have learned, but they end up tormenting you once more. What do you do? Ride in your car, blast this tune, drive past them while singing this line aloud:

Hollowed out and filled up with hate
All we want is you to give us a break

And then drive away and have fun while they scratch their heads and wonder what the hell just happened. That's how you do it, Paramore style. 

And now, some special mentions!

  • Interlude: I'm Not Angry Anymore
  • Part II
  • Proof

Part II got me giggling because it reminded me of Let the Flames Begin - spoiler alert, Part II is supposed to be a follow up to Let the Flames Begin! I personally love all the Interlude tracks in the album, just ugh. And then there's Proof, which hit me hard with the OTP feels. 

The whole album is a beauty, a masterfreaking piece. It can even be a nonlinear story, and it would be up to you to arrange the tracks and see which one would go first and which would be the last. Each track is like liquid gold, and I assure you, you'll relate to even just one of them, a single line, a strum of the ukulele or guitar or the beat of the drum, anything.

Five over five. Gold stars for this baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment