Sunday, June 8, 2014

Touta Matsuda: A Caffè Americano Challenge Short







Moving to Tokyo was a different kind of experience. Samuel wasn’t sure if it was because of the culture shock, the language barrier, or the fact that he didn’t exactly have anyone to help him out at the moment. His insides lurched for home, for sleeping back in his comfy bed and waking up to the scent of pancakes and/or waffles, with his dad getting ready for work, Jake studying his calculus, and his mom finishing up the bacon.

Now, he thought, he would wake up surrounded by cream-colored walls and a bed that wasn’t broken in yet. No posters would deck the walls quite yet; no comics would be filling the bookshelves. Home would smell of beer and cigarette smoke from now on, leftovers from various fast food chains stuffed in the fridge.
He was on his own now, and that scared as well as excited him.

If only he took up some more goddamn Japanese, he thought sullenly, his luggage by his side while he waited in a small café situated somewhere five minutes away from the baggage retrieval area. He was to meet someone there, a superior at HQ – the place where he’d work – the very next day.

Jesus.

So where was he?

He took a sip from his coffee (too goddamn sweet for his taste, but he couldn’t complain) and tapped his foot impatiently, folding his arms over his chest. Well, fuck. If the man didn’t arrive any sooner, he’d have to stumble around in Tokyo using sign language like some kind of idiot –

“Oh, there you are!” Samuel looked up in surprise, all signs of irritation leaving his face as he met the excited (and slightly anxious) gaze of a man older than he, coffee-brown eyes alit. “I was worried that I’d never find you. Then again, I figured that the new agents would like to stop and have some coffee to recover from the flight,” he went on, the words jumbling nonsensically in Samuel’s ears.

What a ray of sunshine.



“Ah – I’m sorry, you must be disoriented from your trip all the way from Bronx,” he apologized, pulling a chair and sitting across him. Samuel gave a stiff nod. “Let’s see here…Samuel Peters?” the man had pulled out a paper from his coat pocket, unfolding it and reading the top.

“That’s me.”

“Excellent! Well, Samuel, my name is Touta Matsuda.” Too-ta. Mat-soo-dah. Shouldn’t be too hard to remember. “I’m going to oversee your training for the next few months at HQ, but we’ll talk about that later.” Touta extended a hand and flashed a brilliant smile, “Pleasure to meet new recruits.”

He sat there, dumbfounded before shaking the other’s hand. “You speak English?”

“It’s a must, I have to say. It’s one of the most common tongues. Thankfully, I can speak quite a decent amount.” While Touta talked, Samuel studied him carefully. The man was a few inches shorter compared to his 6’, slim and quite young, come to think of it, upon looking a little bit closer. Touta was dressed in sleek business attire, the other color aside from black and white being a simple golden-colored tie that somehow brought out the brown of his eyes. “Shall we go?”

“Go?”

“Why, of course – you have to settle in for the day.”

“Right, right. Sorry. It doesn’t feel all that great to me yet,” he apologized, and Touta nodded sympathetically.

“I understand. It’s a common feeling, homesickness. But we’ll get you sorted out.” Samuel wondered who this we was, but thought less of it upon seeing Touta rise from his seat, taking hold of the handle of one of his luggage. “I’ll drive you to your apartment and then we’ll talk more about the job on the way.”

* * * * *

Samuel listened as Touta drove him to his apartment. “The last time I worked with a foreigner…that’s another story,” the man chuckled.

So far, so good.

Touta Matsuda wasn’t someone he was expecting. To be honest, he was expecting someone much older, had a cranky atmosphere about him, and would simply drop him off at his apartment because ‘that’s how you learn shit when you’re an adult’. Apparently, this other guy was different.

And he was okay with it.

“You’ll be under me until they assign you to a separate squad,” Touta went on. “It always goes that way. Newbies with me for a couple of months, and then the higher-ups manage to filter them into separate squads of three to five members each that can hopefully utilize their skills and work brilliantly.”

“Are you in a squad?”

“Me?” the Japanese blinked, “No, not exactly. My work, really, is to train the newcomers and see to it that their progress works its way up throughout the whole training session.” He turned left and glanced at the side for a moment before driving on, “Now tell me about yourself, Samuel.”

“It’s Peters,” he corrected.

“Peters,” Touta repeated softly, then nodded with a chuckle. “Fair enough. Tell me about yourself, Peters.”

“Family life, expectations…?”

“Anything under the sun, I suppose.”

“Huh. Okay.” He thought of it for a moment then shrugged the initial apprehension away, “I wanted to get away.”

“From your family?”

“Yes.” He hesitated a bit and went on, “I have an older brother. Jacob – Jake. He’s studying to be a doctor, three years older than me. He’s on his way there. I moved away because knowing my parents, they’d force me to be something like him.”

“And yet, you picked police work…that’s considerably more dangerous than operating people,” the older man pointed out.

“Fair enough. But I had to get away before they could force me into something I didn’t want to be. So I told dad, I want to work for the police. He didn’t get me at first until I emphasized ‘for’ and not ‘as’. So I researched for weeks until I found that you guys had open applications for new ones like me. I filled it up, and then…here I am.”

Touta nodded slowly, stopping as the car halted to a pause. “Your dad, Mr. Nathan. He is a cop, right? NYPD?” at Samuel’s confirmation, Touta hummed. “Not as a police but for the police…quite an interesting back story you have there, Samuel. Did your parents support you?”

“Mom didn’t want me to leave,” he admitted. “She asked me to stay in the States. Work with dad in the NYPD instead. But I had to leave. I wanted to leave. Dad took it…nicer, but still asked if this was what I really wanted.”

“Is it?”

He stopped.

“The training is going to be a little tougher than you’d expect. You’re going to be asked to handle all sorts of weapons, but also increase your logic, your analytic skills. You’re going to learn body language, facial expression, how to tell if someone’s lying and how to tell if they’re telling the truth. You’re going to work with blood and flirt with death.” Touta looked at Samuel to gauge his reaction, and was satisfied to see a not-so terrified look on his face. “Is this what you truly want?”

“I’m here already. Why the fuck should I back out?”

And Touta knew that they had hired the right man for the job.

“Perfect. You know, Samuel, I have quite a feeling that we’ll work nicely with each other for the next couple of months.”

The American didn’t want to admit it.

(In fear of being too goddamn sappy.)

But he felt that way as well.


Touta needed no other confirmation, merely driving on with a pleased smile on his face.

No comments:

Post a Comment