Sunday, October 18, 2015

Feature Piece: A Coalesce Short






Starr’s Pub
Liverpool, UK
September 2017


“I’m surprised you took on that special article, Cross.”

“Believe it or not, I actually have the resources, references, and the person for it.” Lysette Cross replied smoothly. Beside her, Eugene Ramsey coughed. “Besides – you’re on the article too. You, me, and that other writer.”

“Yes, but I’m actually assigned to the branch in South America. You, on the other hand, are assigned to the Tokyo branch. One of those places can carry English with a bit of help and the other place will ask a require a translator.”

“Didn’t you hear me? I told you, I have a contact in the Tokyo branch.” She explained. “And thankfully, they can speak English, as can the rest of her associates. Don’t think I’m going in there unprepared.”

“Tokyo has been reported to be one of the more active branches.”

“And you think I can’t handle it?”

“I never said that.” Eugene swished the contents of his glass slowly. “Never said you couldn’t handle it, Cross. It just seems a little…more dangerous than the other two branches we’ve been assigned to.”

“Steele got sent to Italy,” Lysette remarked. “You think that’s not dangerous?”



“We don’t live in the seventies or eighties anymore, if you’re thinking of the Mafia. It isn’t like there anymore. Or so I’ve heard.”

“Anyway. I can handle the job,” she assured him. “No need to belittle my skill or anything. I’ve been preparing for this the past week. Everything’s in control at this point. All I have to do is board my plane at the right time and go there.”

“Don’t you find it weird, though?” Lysette gave a weird look from her glass. “Taking on this kind of topic all of a sudden.”

“A friendly reminder that we’re not just a lifestyle magazine, Gene. Plus,” Lysette couldn’t help but smile, “It’s Tokyo. I’ve been dying to get to go to Tokyo for the longest time. I couldn’t just let the chance go.”

He had to chuckle at that. “You haven’t shut up about it since bagging the article. Alright. If you think you’re okay, then go for it. I’m not stopping you – I can’t, anyway, since the Ed’s already listed your name at this point.”

“This will be my big break.” Lysette finished the rest of her drink and sighed loudly, “Just wait until I actually make it on the front cover.”

Lysette Cross, along with Eugene Ramsey and Aaron Steele, had been assigned to the main story of Meta’s January issue. Meta (stylized as META), was one of the top magazines which was being circulated around the United Kingdom. Lysette had been accepted only one year back as part of their layout and graphic design staff, but rose in the ranks and eventually got assigned to the writing department as well.

It was only recent that she, along with the other two, were asked to cover one of the world’s growing organizations: a strange business people all over the globe commonly knew as HQ. Upon being asked if she could take it, she immediately accepted and followed up by asking if she could take the Tokyo branch.

After much explanation, Tokyo was officially assigned to Lysette. The three were to embark on a two month-long trip on the last week of September and were expected to make their own feature articles there. As much as possible, the Editor wanted to cover as much about this ‘HQ’ as possible.

Lysette was to travel to Japan, Eugene to South America, and Aaron to Italy. They agreed that the general article concerning ‘HQ’ would be written by the three of them, and that it would split into three different articles. It took them two weeks to formally plan everything out, and by the time the two weeks was up, everything was set into place.

She could remember Aaron describing it as a ‘business trip’ to their other co-workers, but she and Eugene knew that he was taking advantage of the trip by bringing his girlfriend there was well. On another hand, Eugene was dedicated to getting the job done. He had told Lysette that he would only allow himself to relax if he got most of the work done.

And Lysette…

Lysette had her own reasons for going there. In fact, one of those reasons was why she had been so desperate to get assigned to Tokyo in the first place.

“There he is,” Eugene said suddenly. Lysette blinked and looked up, seeing a tall blonde wave towards them from afar. “One last meeting before we all board our respective planes in the next week.” Lysette barely had any time to nod before Aaron approached them, quickly taking a seat next to Lystte and apologizing to both for being late.

“Sorry,” he sighed. “You know how the goddamn tube gets at these hours. Have you started without me?”

“Just the drinking.” Lysette tipped the glass in his direction and Aaron gave it a longing look before shaking his head. “No?”

“Nah. I promised I wouldn’t be drinking for the night,” he apologized with a lopsided grin. “I’ll just have a Mountain Dew.” Lysette playfully nudged his arm.

“Trying to wean off the alcohol, Steele?”

“Unfortunately. My lady back home might chuck me into the bin.”

“What a waste,” Eugene remarked. Aaron snorted and waved the other’s words off, reaching for a menu that lay discarded to the side. “Don’t let go of your lady, Steele.”

“Wasn’t planning to, mate. Anyway. What’s on tonight’s talk?”

“Lysette and I were just wondering how to get the photos done, since you’re the most decent photographer among the three of us.” Aaron’s eyes flickered over the two of them and his mouth fell into an open ‘o’.

“Shit, you’re right. You’re the writing guy, Cross is our layout girl, and I’m the photography guy. Okay. What do you have in mind?”

Lysette spoke up first. “I wanted a picture showcasing my interviewee.”

“Anything more?”

“That’s a secret.” She gave a coy smile. “I just want to know how to get the right picture of the person I’ll interview for my piece.” Aaron nodded slowly.

“Right, then…you’re going to tell me the angle you’ll take with them.”

Lysette hummed quietly and grabbed a pen from her bag, starting to do a rough sketch of what she wanted. “Is it too weird if I want to feature my person all glammed up?”

“You just need to find the right angle for it,” Aaron advised. Lysette nodded, sketching a thick head of hair and already beginning to outline some poses here and there. Her mind fell to thick, chocolate-brown hair that usually looked black, and a pair of sharp eyes looking at the camera. The dress she pictured in her head was a beautiful wine-red. “Have an idea already?”

“Dozens,” she replied, smiling. “And I think she’ll like what I have in mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment