Friday, October 30, 2015

Career Switch: A Transcendence Short







Alternate Universe
Starbucks
New York City
United States of America
November 2119


“Free, what the hell are you doing?”

“Manning the register, what does it look like I’m doing—?”

“No, get the fuck out.” Jae-Hwang gave Ansel a sharp look before pushing him aside, the former cracking his knuckles. “I’ve got this. I’ve got the mathematical capability to do this properly. Stay with the drinks.”

“You’re as bad at math as I am,” the brunette protested. “I wouldn’t trust you with the freaking register and money, Hwang.”

“Shit’s digital nowadays.”

“Which is why I can take care of the thing.”

“No, shut up. Stick to the food, drinks, and batting your lashes for your girlfriend.” Ansel punched the man’s arm and the Korean laughed before flashing a grin at a customer who had just arrived at the counter. Sighing, Ansel hung back and moved next to Luke. Luke gave a half-hearted wave.

“Hwang kick you from the register again?”

“That was one time—”



“I’ve never seen anyone more flustered because of a fucking cash register and a card swiper,” Luke snickered. He heard Jae-Hwang’s yell of Strawberry Frap and began making quickly, asking Ansel to hand him ingredients here and there. “You flustered in front of her. You know. Your fucking girlfriend.”

“Don’t bring Lena into this,” Ansel sighed. He handed Luke the whip, “That was such a shitty first meeting. I sort of wish we could repeat it.”

“Nah, don’t. That’s how you got to know Elena anyway, which makes it sweet.”

“If you say so.” Ansel took the drink and walked to the other side of the counter, calling out the person’s name. “Rayne?” Immediately did a girl with black girl and Korean features approach him, taking the drink along with tissues and the green straw he handed. “Hi, Rayne.”

“Hi,” Rayne chirped. “Just taking this for my lunch break. I need to get back to the studio immediately, Lena’s going to make me up and we’ll do a shoot.”

“Lena?”

“Mhm — she’s right there,” Rayne pointed to her right, which made Ansel look excitedly. Elena was right there, stating her order to Jae. “You’re smiling,” she teased. Ansel rolled his eyes, though his cheeks had turned a mild shade of pink. “Both of you are cute together. I see you bring food to the studio sometimes.”

“She forgets to eat,” Ansel sighed. “Like seriously fucking forgets to eat at times. I have to bring her food on the work-heavy days.”

“You’re too cute. Lena! Your boyfriend is being a cutie again,” Rayne laughed. Elena approached the counter and Ansel couldn’t help the grin which came to his face. 

“Flirting with my SM, Rayne?”

“He’s not my type,” Rayne replied easily. Ansel gave a fake expression of hurt and Elena rolled her eyes, leaning over the counter to kiss Ansel on the cheek. “Aww, lovebirds.” 

“Go flirt with your SM.” the Korean stuck out her tongue before moving to Jae-Hwang, the latter of the two flashing her a wink as he took her hand. “Is my food ready yet?”

“Luke can handle it,” the male replied. At that moment, a blonde squeezed his way through and handed the paper bag to Elena, making Ansel frown. “Fucking Luke—”

“One venti-sized Hibiscus Blend, one chicken-turkey sandwich, and then there’s an additional French Toast in here which was paid by yours truly.”

“By ‘yours truly’, he means me,” Ansel said in a deadpan tone. Luke, the taller of the two males, laughed and ruffled Ansel’s brown hair before returning to his drinks. Elena gave him a teasing smile. 

“You didn’t have to.”

“Rayne told me both of you would be working together,” he told her. “Also, that Hibiscus is iced. Not hot.”

“Reminds me of our first meeting,” she pressed, to which Ansel spluttered and visibly looked away. The pink on his cheeks in intensified.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Remember, Retel? I came in here and asked for an Iced Hibiscus Blend tea. And what did you ask after? What did you ask?”

“You’re horrible.” From the cashier, Jae-Hwang gave a snort. 

“He was like: ‘do you want it hot or iced’? He asked if you wanted your iced hibiscus tea either iced or hot. Fucking iced-hot-hibiscus tea—

“Shut up.” Ansel smiled and locked Jae-Hwang into a noogie, the shorter male giving a shocked noise, “Kindly shut the fuck up and tend to your girlfriend.”

“Pretentious ice-hot asshole,” the Korean male choked, trying his best not to laugh. Elena watched them with a bewildered expression until Ansel let Jae-Hwang go. 

“No one else reminds me of that,” Ansel said dryly. “Except for Lena.”

“Mm. Sure thing, lover boy. Take ten with her, you’ve been working your ass all day. Or at least Truman tells me that.”

“It’s true,” Luke piped.

“He can take a break,” Elena interrupted. She poked Ansel’s nose, making the male’s expression turn from exasperated to affectionate. “Rayne and I need to go back to the studio, she’s got a shoot coming up. See you later?”

“I’ll prepare some pasta for dinner later,” he promised. She gave his cheek a large pinch and eventually left with Rayne trailing behind, Luke and Jae-Hwang laughing from behind him. Ansel rolled his eyes. 

“Can’t I have a peaceful conversation with my girlfriend, assholes?”

“Fuck no.” Luke gave a smirk and pulled an arm around Ansel’s shoulder. “Come on, Lover Boy. Let’s keep making those coffees.”

No comments:

Post a Comment