Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Golden Beams of Apprehension

After receiving my report card last April 6, the idea of being an upperclassman hadn't really gotten to me. I felt like how I always felt - young, goofy, and pretty much the fifteen-year-old I've been since January. However, it was only a day or two ago when our batch representative posted something rather alarming on our batch page. And that, ladies and gents, was a list of things to prepare for as we entered our Junior year. It only consisted of three events, really. The School Intramurals (Sports Event), the Medical Dental Mission, and the highly-feared Prom.

That announcement was a splash of cold water on my face, finally snapping me out of my so-thought fantasy of being relaxed for the whole summer. I realized, that no you cannot be calm. All of it got well, worse when my mom came home on the eighteenth with my schoolbooks. There was a Chemistry book, my Religion book, a book for Programming, the books needed for English and Filipino class...nothing felt more real than that. Than the feeling of the books staring at me as I took them out one by one from the plastic bag. That kind of feeling didn't even make me flinch as I entered my Freshman and Sophomore year.

With a heavy mind, I realize what Junior year would have in store. It would mean having to know what you wanted for college, what kind of dress you wanted for prom, what kind of grades you needed to make sure all the great universities would pick you. It meant having more problems, less sleep, more projects, and more challenges. It meant more subjects, more memorization, more mathematics (and I cringe at the thought of it). Especially in my case, now being the Secretary and News Editor of the school publication club. I was previously warned that everything experienced in Sophomore year would be a lightweight compared to the trials of Junior year.

If this is how I feel right now, then I wonder how the upcoming Seniors feel.

Biology would turn into Chemistry, Statistics into Geometry and Adobe Flash into Basic Programming. On the upside, World History would be a subject I would enjoy in the upcoming schoolyear. But on the downside? A whole lot of business as I would study and study. Not just for my subjects, but for the college entrance exams. It's a whole lot of...well, hysteria.

But then, I have to realize that this is yet another opportunity. Another chance for me to actually make things right and to realize and bring out my true potential. It could possibly give me a chance to explore around and make friends, or to even restore old friendship and burning rivalries or whatsoever. Maybe I can send or receive a sweet promposal (probably not happening) or actually figure out what I want to do after high school.
 
This morning, my parents asked me what course I wanted, and it just occurred to me that I haven't really made a final decision yet. I've narrowed it down to Law or Journalism, but from there I'm definitely not sure which to take. I can only hope that the college talks in third year (if there are any) and the Integrated Field Trip can help me on which one I really, really want to take.
 
And then there's prom, but I sure as hell am not going to talk about that.
 
I'm just hoping that third year will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment