Friday, January 25, 2013

Ari Reviews: Les Miserables

             
 Hello, and good evening! A few nights ago, I recall watching Les Miserables for the very first time. Not the Broadway or such version, but the film one that was recently released. Now, I had some pretty good expectations for this movie. My friends had been raving about it online and offline, and after finally getting a copy of the film from my friend, I sat on the bed, turned on the laptop, and finally watched the movie everyone's been talking about.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, here is my review on Les Miserables. It's my first time to do such a thing, so please bear with me. Now, onto the review!
Note: There WILL be spoilers. Don't read if you would not like to be spoiled.
Also, historical inaccuracies can be told through the comments section. 





Holy freaking goodness I cried four times while watching the movie, but more about that later. The whole thing was excellent. Everything. From the writing to the directing to the acting as well as singing! I honestly praise the crew and cast of the film for doing an excellent job. Every single bit was perfection. Now, before I start fangirling once more about the story, I need to do some background research from what the movie released was based on: the musical, which was based on the book. 

You may be surprised, thinking beforehand that Les Miserables was a Broadway play to begin with, say, like Mamma Mia! or Fiddler on the Roof. But actually, it all started with the French novel written by Victor Hugo, the same man who wrote The Hunchback of Notre-Dame known as Notre-Dame de Paris in French. Through the years, the novel has been popularized, growing everywhere and gaining fame through plays, film, and even television. So many themes were explored in the book, including politics, justice, religion, as well as the types of love - familial as well as romantic. Moral philosophy and anti-monarchism were also dwelt upon by Hugo. 

Now, we move onto the movie after that small bit of background. The movie was directed by Tom Hooper, famous for directing the award-winning film The King's Speech. For me, Hooper did excellent in directing. I was amazed at nearly everything, goodness. There were moments that made me squirm, made me laugh, made me gasp in horror even, and made me cry. But that wouldn't be without the cast, right? 

Firstly, Hugh Jackman. Wolverine.

JESUS CHRIST THAT MAN CAN SING. He prepared so much for his role, like the following: he avoided drinking coffee, drank seven freaking liters of water a day (or so this article tells me) and sat in steam three times a day, possibly to achieve the look of his character, which was none other than Jean Valjean. He is definitely one of my favorites from the film, and I just adored his portrayal of Valjean so much.

Info on Valjean: Valjean was the central character of the film, put into prison for nineteen years for stealing bread for his sister's children. His sentence was originally five years, however the numerous times he tried to break out unsuccessfully lengthened his stay. 

There were songs that gave me so much feelings, but his performance in Who Am I definitely had to be my favorite. I was chanting 24601 for days - even until now. 

Now, we move on to Russell Crowe, who played Inspector Javert. Supposedly, many people put him down merely because of this singing. I kept this in mind when I watched, and come on - some people can be really harsh. I thought he was just as good as any other! He stuck to character, and I really like his voice, even though some people criticize it for being monotonous or whatever negative term they apply. Javert's suicide made me cringe. When he jumped, he landed in the water with a loud crack. But other than that, Crowe did a great job plaiyng Javert. His song in Javert's Suicide was my favorite part of him. 

Info on Javert: He was the Inspector who freed Valjean of his imprisonment, and dedicated his life to bringing him back to jail. Sort of the villain in the story, but changed heart at the end. 

Focusing a bit on the ladies this time, I'd like to bring Anne Hathaway as Fantine to stage. 

Alright, so I have three favorite characters in no order, and they are Jean Valjean, Eponine (who I shall rave about later) and Fantine. Her portrayal in the trailer alone made me shed tears. In the movie? I cried at her death, and at I Dreamed a Dream. She was done excellently, and I can't find the words to praise her enough. I was shocked when I found out that it was her actual hair that was cut in the movie. SHE CAN SING. MIA THERMOPOLIS CAN SING. Her voice is just. Amazing. I'm jealous. My favorite by Hathaway is a cross between I Dreamed a Dream and her part in Valjean's Death/Epilogue. Props to her.

Info on Fantine: Fantine was kicked out of her job upon being found out that she had a child (Cosette). Desperate to support her daughter, she turned to prostitution and eventually trusted Valjean to care for her.

Now, Amanda Seyfried as Cosette. I am blown away at her vocal range, it can go so high! Plus, she's extremely beautiful. Although not as high as my top three on my favorites list, she's still a character that was played to justice. A Heart Full of Love was my favorite from her. Although I'm slightly irritated that Marius and Cosette ended up together (sort of an unpopular opinion), it is what it is. Adorable little Isabelle Allen took on the role as a younger Cosette.

Info on Cosette: She is Fantine's illegitimate daughter who was entrusted to Valjean's care, though previously under the home of the Thenardiers. She later sees Marius Pontmercy and falls in love with him. 

Samantha Bars took Eponine and nailed it. She had experience before the film, having played Eponine as well in the West End production as well as the 25th Anniversary concert. Eponine is definitely my mega favorite. On My Own killed me, and I can just relate to the character so much. Her voice is...wow. Just wow. She made my heart hurt and the tears fall. I was upset at her death, but it was for a great cause...right?
Natalya Wallace played the younger Eponine.

Info on Eponine: She is a friend of Marius, and is in love with him. However, Marius can't quite see this, already in love with Cosette. She later saves Marius at the revolt, but dies because of it. She is the daughter of the Thenardiers. 

Eddie Redmayne got the role of Marius Pontmercy. One thing: he is cute. His voice was somewhat one of my least favorites though, but his portrayal made up for it. I particularly enjoyed Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, and it is one of the most played songs from the Les Miserables soundtrack. At least, that's what iTunes is telling me...

Info on Marius: A student revolutionary who falls in love with Cosette and later marries her at the end. He is saved by Jean Valjean, and lives through the revolt because of this as well as Eponine's sacrifice. 

Additional actors and actresses I'd like to commend:

  • Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen as the Thenardiers. HOLY COW THESE TWO MADE IT FOR ME. I loved them so much, even though they too also played the villains! Monsieur Thenardier's confusion with Cosette's name was a funny gag that kept me snickering throughout. Master of the House was fantastic. 
  • Aaron Tveit as Enjloras. I was immensely upset at his death, but I kept yelling with him throughout the movie. Let me just say that I tended to agree with him. ABC/Red and Black was definitely a favorite of mine. 
  • Daniel Huttlestone as Gavroche. Let's all face it, we were all hysterical when he was shot. 



Overall, the film was excellent. Heartbreaking. Emotionally wrecking (but that's just me). I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, seriously - if it's still showing in the cinemas, get some tickets, grab a friend, buy tissues and watch it. If it's not, buy the DVD and watch with anyone, just don't forget the tissues. Buy the soundtrack as well, you will not regret it and it is NOT a waste of your money. 




No comments:

Post a Comment